How to link a collapsed subprocess to a model

For decomposition purpose as well as for call subprocesses, we use to model the details of a subprocess in a different model. camunda modeler allows me to “expand” the collapsed sp in order to model the details, but I don’t see any way to link the subprocess to a different model of the same name. Is there?

Thx
Rainer

2 Likes

You can indeed, you can use a Call Activity - this can all any other process deployed to the engine.

1 Like

Thanks, Niall, for the feeedback. When I am not using the engine but only the modeler how can I link a subprocess with the called process model? Is there any property of a call subprocess where to enter the name of the called process?
Or is it just “knowing” that a call subprocess named “A” is linked to a process model named “A”?

From a modeling perspective there isn’t currently any functionality by which you can do something like double click on a call activity and open the required model. That only works when deployed to the engine.

But you can have more than one process in a single bpmn file. so if you wanted you could have the processes side by side.

1 Like

Hi Rainer,

the content of the collapsed subprocess is stored in the xml of the diagram. Thats the place where has to be, according to the spec. In the Camunda modeler, you can only expand the subprocess, but not link it to a different model.

Hope this helps, Ingo

In the Camunda modeler, you can only expand the subprocess, but not link it to a different model.

While I see this is the current behavior and there doesn’t seem to have anything changed since Sep’ 16, where @nikku said

There are no plans to at [a workspace] functionality right now.

I’d like to discuss an implementation of this (implemented like the element-templates (JSON): either in the central (user) camunda folder or in a .camunda/workspace folder anywhere in the current model’s directory structure). Should this be done here or in the issue tracker?

The goal of the discussion (if it would be accepted) is to add this function via pull-request.

3 Likes