How to model a subprocess call after main process end event

Hi, How are you?

I am trying to figure out how to model in BPMN a call for a specific subprocess after the end of a main process.

In other words,I have a main process that must call a specific subprocess after it ends.
It is important to note that the main process and subprocess are defined in the same pool/participant.
Therefore, I can not use a end event message to the subprocess because both are in the same pool.

Please, May some on help me?
I could not figure out how to do it.

I appreciate any help you can give me

Can you upload your model to give me a better idea of what you’re trying to achieve ?

Sure, thanks for helping.

I uploaded what I am trying to do - emphasize that at end “Task 1”, the subprocess “subprocess” must be executed. I know that the model is wrong, but I do not know how to fix it.

Indeed that model is incorrect and violates the BPMN standard, but first
I have a lot of questions…

1. Why do you want to start this process after an end event
  2. Why not make the sub-process as process of it’s own.
  3. If the sub-process is part of the main process then what would be the problem with putting it before the end event.
  4. what functionality are you trying to achieve with this pattern?
  5. Is there a reason why you’re not using Camunda modeler (not that i’m offended - just wondering :slight_smile: )

I am going to try to answer your questions below:

1. Why do you want to start this process after an end event
    Because the end of this specific process, it must trigger that specific subprocess.
    I mean, when the main process finishes, it must trigger the execution of a particular subprocess - I do not know how to model this scenario in BPMN.

2. Why not make the sub-process as process of it’s own.
    Because it is a reusable subprocess used by another processes.

3. If the sub-process is part of the main process then what would be the problem with putting it before the end event.
    Because the subprocess is only triggered after the main process finishes.

4. what functionality are you trying to achieve with this pattern?
    Point out that a specific subprocess must be triggered when the main process finishes.

5. Is there a reason why you’re not using Camunda modeler (not that i’m offended - just wondering )
    Because I had no choice, the company that I work for has decided to use another tool.

I think you that you’re misunderstanding how the symbols work.
The Sub-process you’re calling is not reusable, it’s an embedded sub-process. What you should be using is a Call Activity.

There are two main ways of calling another process, using the above mentioned call activity or using a message throw and a message start event.

With a Call Activity it calls the subprocess and waits for it to finish before returning to it’s parent process.

The message event just starts the process and then continues without needing to wait. This would be the way you probably want to use.

Hope that is useful.

1 Like