Identity didn't start after changing password in Keycloak

Hello experts,

I have started the camunda-platform docker compose environment. Then I went to Keycloak and changed the super-user password. After a restart of the compose (pushing the stop and play button in Docker Desktop) Identity didn’t start.

In the logs of Identity if found the lines:

2022-08-15 13:02:16.473  INFO 1 --- [           main] w.s.c.ServletWebServerApplicationContext : Root WebApplicationContext: initialization completed in 3670 ms
2022-08-15 13:02:19.025 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #1. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:24.028  WARN 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Retrying...
2022-08-15 13:02:24.227 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #2. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:29.227  WARN 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Retrying...
2022-08-15 13:02:29.365 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #3. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:34.365  WARN 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Retrying...
2022-08-15 13:02:34.471 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #4. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:39.471  WARN 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Retrying...
2022-08-15 13:02:39.593 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #5. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:44.594  WARN 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Retrying...
2022-08-15 13:02:44.678 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : Failure #6. Unable to connect to Keycloak.
2022-08-15 13:02:44.678 ERROR 1 --- [           main] i.c.i.i.k.config.KeycloakConfiguration   : javax.ws.rs.NotAuthorizedException: HTTP 401 Unauthorized

But the Identity setup didn’t contain any reference to the password: camunda-platform/docker-compose.yaml at main · camunda/camunda-platform · GitHub.

Could anybody please shed some light how Identity connects to Keycloak and what has to be changed when I change my superuser password?

Thank you and Kind regards, Ingo

Hey Ingo,

in the helm charts we set the keycloak user name and password via environment variable see here camunda-platform-helm/deployment.yaml at main · camunda/camunda-platform-helm · GitHub

Maybe this helps.

Greets
Chris

Hi @Zelldon,

I guess this is just the initial user to access Operate etc. Docker compose set it to demo/demo. The Keycloak admin is admin/admin.

There must me more magic behind this.

Cheers, Ingo

There is also the setup user

- name: KEYCLOAK_SETUP_USER 
         value: {{ .Values.keycloak.auth.adminUser }} 
       - name: KEYCLOAK_SETUP_PASSWORD

Hi @Zelldon,

OK, you missed the important lines in your reference:

- name: KEYCLOAK_SETUP_PASSWORD
            {{- if and .Values.keycloak.auth.existingSecret (not (typeIs "string" .Values.keycloak.auth.existingSecret)) }}
            valueFrom:
              secretKeyRef:
                {{- /*
                    Helper: https://github.com/bitnami/charts/blob/master/bitnami/common/templates/_secrets.tpl
                    Usage in keycloak secrets https://github.com/bitnami/charts/blob/master/bitnami/keycloak/templates/secrets.yaml
                    and in statefulset https://github.com/bitnami/charts/blob/master/bitnami/keycloak/templates/statefulset.yaml
                */}}
                name: {{ include "common.secrets.name" (dict "existingSecret" .Values.keycloak.auth.existingSecret "context" $) }}
                key: admin-password
            {{- else }}
            valueFrom:
                secretKeyRef:
                  {{- /*
                    https://github.com/bitnami/charts/blob/master/bitnami/common/templates/_names.tpl
                  */}}
                  name: {{ include "common.names.dependency.fullname" (dict "chartName" "keycloak" "chartValues" .Values.keycloak "context" $) }}
                  key: admin-password
            {{- end }}

But the variables KEYCLOAK_SETUP_USER and KEYCLOAK_SETUP_PASSWORD are not mentioned in the docs: Configuration variables | Camunda Platform 8. So they didn’t exist for a common user.

And you are not aware about a required change of the value.

Cheers, Ingo

I didn’t missed it :smiley: I left it out on purpose since the helm templating is not really useful.

Feel free to open an issue for it on the docs or a PR. For the helm users it is not really important since they can configured it via the camunda-platform-helm/charts/camunda-platform at main · camunda/camunda-platform-helm · GitHub values

Greets
Chris

Hi @Ingo_Richtsmeier,

we recommend using the helm charts, where Keycloak is included and the admin credentials are randomly generated for security reason. If you want to configure it manually, it is also possible. Here is a relevant part from our configuration with defaults

keycloak:
  url: ${KEYCLOAK_URL:http://localhost:18080/auth}
  realm: ${KEYCLOAK_REALM:camunda-platform}
  setup:
    client-id: ${KEYCLOAK_SETUP_CLIENT_ID:admin-cli}
    password: ${KEYCLOAK_SETUP_PASSWORD:admin}
    realm: ${KEYCLOAK_SETUP_REALM:master}
    user: ${KEYCLOAK_SETUP_USER:admin}
identity:
  auth-provider:
    backend-url: ${IDENTITY_AUTH_PROVIDER_BACKEND_URL:http://localhost:18080/auth/realms/camunda-platform}
    issuer-url: ${IDENTITY_AUTH_PROVIDER_ISSUER_URL:http://localhost:18080/auth/realms/camunda-platform}

Let me know if you need further explanation on what the specific variables do.

Do you think it would be helpful to add these configuration option to the docs?

Best,
Dimitri

1 Like

Hi @dlavrenuek,

thank you very much for this.

Yes, it would be helpful to describe the magic connection between Identity and Keycloak it the documentation.

Right now I have no experience with Keycloak and how companies configure it. But these questions pop up in my consultant brain:

• Which features of Keycloak are used by Identity?
  • How can I use my already installed and configured Keycloak in Identity? Does it make sense to use it or is it better to use a keycloak-to-keycloak configuration to reuse all my users and groups?
  • If I use Keycloak with a random password, is it safe for production? What about a password change policy (change the password each 30 days)? How can I apply it?

If these questions could be somehow addressed in the docs, it would be nice as well.

Cheers, Ingo

Hi @Ingo_Richtsmeier,

I will try to give detailed. And of course we are constantly working on improving our docs, so any suggestions are welcome.

Identity uses the admin credentials to authenticate with the Keycloak Admin API. This is required to initialize a new realm for Camunda applications. During initialization there will be applications, roles and mappers created. The Identity UI provides the functionality to manage (create, edit, delete) applications, resource servers, permissions & roles and the possibility to assign permissions to an application (for m2m communication) and roles to a user (f.e. to grant access to Operate, Tasklist, Optimize or Identity). It is possible to configure C8 with an existing Keycloak which, at the moment requires setting admin credentials in Identity (for reasons described above)

At the moment we only support a setup with a Keycloak instance provided by our Helm charts. Using an external Keycloak is possible with preconditions described above. Technically it is possible to use any instance of Keycloak if the required data is added manually (applications, roles, mappers) but this is not something I would advice because we plan to support configuring an existing Keycloak (and realm) in the near future.

It is possible to configure an existing Keycloak as an OIDC provider and use role/scope to role mapping. Afaik mapping by groups is only possible with LDAP. I can not answer what is better, for this purpose I would rather ask the question what do you (as a Camunda C8 user or a client) want to archive and what is your current setup, first?

It should be as safe as setting a password manually. May be @Zelldon can answer the question with some data on how long the generated secret is and what characters are used for it to determine the number of different password. If there are requirements like that the password are changed every x days, this can be implemented by manually setting a password instead of using the default randomly generated ones.

I hope that it provides some deeper technical insights.

Best,
Dimitri

Thank you, @dlavrenuek!