Instance ID using UUDI for C8

Hi … In C7, there is UUID generator and , if I understand correctly, is to use UUID for the process instance ID and element ID. Id Generators | docs.camunda.org

For C8, when I run 8.1.1, I think the ID turns to long. From the ActivatedJob interface for example : “elementInstanceKey”:2251799813799739.

My question is whether UUID generator still exists for C8?

I am using the free C8 version on my macbook for dev using docker compose. not sure if it is ralevant.

Thanks,

No UUID generator

It seems to run into some risk of ID duplication using long? it is quite big number, but still possible comparing to UUID. What is the rationale to change to long?

Thanks,

The id’s are guaranteed to be unique in a zeebe cluster.

The longs are based on partition id and a counter which will be incremented.

Greets
Chris

We are sending the human tasks from multiple camunda applications/clusters to a 3rd party system. The design is to send the process instance ID and user task activity ID in UUID format to the 3rd system since there is no duplication. that is the design for C7 any way.

For C8, I guess option 1 is that we generate the UUID for each activity and process. That may be overkill. Or option 2 : use a combined key, like cluster ID+Process Instance ID+ Activity instance ID to guarantee the uniqueness in the 3rd party system.

Any suggestion which one is better? or other options? Too bad that 3rd party app already assume UUID is used for instance. So if we need to put a different format, we will have to break the compatibility.

Thanks,

Hey @emailtowalter

could you maybe generate the UUID and create the instance with that variable? Might help in your third party services to still use the UUID? You just need to extract it from the variables I guess then instead of taking the key.

Greets
Chris

for process instance , yes. But we also need the instance ID for each user task. In future, we also want to stream all logs to centralized ELK for reporting which means we have to generate UUID for each activity in BPMN. I felt it is too much from design’s angle. But maybe it has to be the way.