Is Camunda also a CEP?

Dear All, I’m new to Camunda.
I was looking for a CEP (Complex Event Processing) solution like WSO2 / Siddhi, but a colleague recommended me to use Camunda.
For me Camunda is more a RPA (Robotic Process Automation) solution and that’s not the same.
There is some similarities in functions (Realtime processing, business rules inplementation …) but RPA is limited in term of complexity : “RPA does not have an effective decision rules management; decisions would need to be coded in each robot, and if the rule changes each one would need reprogramming.” from Choose between DPA, BPM or RPA. Rule of five Craig Le Clair Forrester (auraquantic.com)

==> Can Camunda do what a CEP do ?

I’m not really sure how you might have gotten that impression. Camunda is able to orchestrate RPA tools but it has almost nothing else in common with RPA.

This is true of RPA solutions, Camunda on the other hand has rules engine for DMN built into it which makes decisions and rules managed very easy.

Sure, but it really depends on exactly what you want to do.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I had the impression that Camunda was and RPA because the wording on all the web site revolve around Process Automation. (“reinventing Process Automation”, “Automate Any Process anywhere” … ).

I will then have a more detailed look into Camunda.

Hi @Stephane

That actually makes a lot of sense :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: - sorry, I forgot about the wording on the website, i was just thinking about the functionality.
Feel free to come back and ask any specific questions about the project that you’re trying to build and i’ll try to answer them

-Niall

Thanks.
We are looking for fraud detection real-time.
Only one system, one real-time flux of transaction, many transaction type, need of different sliding windows and sliding aggregation, to test and implement multiple known business rules.

I think DMN (Decision model and Notation) would be a good fit for you.
It’s part of Camunda’s engine and modeler. You can read more about it here.

1 Like