Is it possible to start older versions of deployed workflows with the same processeId?

Kenzie Ford: Hey I have a question about over writing workflows.

Background Summary: I have a message start workflow deployed that I can start; but when I deploy another workflow with the same processId I can not start the first model even though they have different global message reference.

Question: Is it possible to start older versions of deployed workflows with the same processeId? Or If I want old message starts to work do I have to deploy them under a new processId every time?

Situation: I have created a workflow that has a GlobalMessageReference= Message_1234 and ProcessId= Process_1. I deployed that bpmn and call it with the message start and it works great. Then I realized I had a similar case to the first that I could modify that first workflow to do so I thought I would just edit it slightly to fit that other case, so the GlobalMessageReference=Message_5678 while the process id is the same so ProcessId=Process_1. I deploy that second one and it starts, but when I go back and try to run that first one it no longer runs.

Possibility?: I know that if I want to stop a timer start all I need to do is deploy a new workflow over it. Is it the same case with this message start, is it being over written so the previous version no longer can run? If so how do I fix this problem? Do I need to use different processId’s for every workflow that I do not want over written?

Josh Wulf: You can start earlier versions of workflows with the createProcessInstance RPC call, by specifying a version number.

However, AFAIK, with the message start event, it will always create an instance of the latest deployed version.

Kenzie Ford: Awesome Thanks!! :smile:

Note: This post was generated by Slack Archivist from a conversation in the Zeebe Slack, a source of valuable discussions on Zeebe (get an invite). Someone in the Slack thought this was worth sharing!

If this post answered a question for you, hit the Like button - we use that to assess which posts to put into docs.