Job/Timer management in Camunda 8

Hello

We are interested in migrating to Camunda 8 and are reviewing the differences between Camunda 7 and 8. Some of the features that we are looking for are the ability to suspend,resume and change the due date of a timer. We were able to do this using the Camunda 7 ManagementService:
https://docs.camunda.org/javadoc/camunda-bpm-platform/7.3/org/camunda/bpm/engine/ManagementService.html#suspendJobById(java.lang.String)
https://docs.camunda.org/javadoc/camunda-bpm-platform/7.3/org/camunda/bpm/engine/ManagementService.html#setJobDuedate(java.lang.String,%20java.util.Date)

Is this provided by the Camunda 8 APIs or is there an alternative way of achieving this?
If not, are these features on your roadmap for Camunda 8?

Regards
John

Hi @jsarafidis :wave: and welcome to our forums!

Both features are not yet available and are not planned for the short term.

FYI @felix-mueller

Hi @jsarafidis,

Thanks for the question!

How do you use it today?

• Only via API/code or also in the Cockpit UI?
  • Do you use it ad-hoc or this is automated action of a system?
  • What are the situations when do you want to suspend/resume/change timers?

This information will help us better understand your use case and define the feature for the roadmap.

Best,
Aleksander

1 Like

Hello @korthout, @aleksander-dytko

Thank you for the prompt responses.

How do you use it today?
Only via API/code or also in the Cockpit UI?

Do you use it ad-hoc or this is automated action of a system?
Users interact with our UI, which sends requests to our REST API. The code of our REST API invokes the methods of the Camunda ManagementService.

What are the situations when do you want to suspend/resume/change timers?
They are all tied with specific business scenarios. Sometimes the users need to postpone the expiration of a timer or even pause it. This could be caused by information that they receive.

Are you aware of any workaround that would allow us to achieve this?

@jsarafidis thanks for your explanation, that’s really helpful.

The last question: Do you use Cockpit UI sometimes / would you use it when it’s in Operate UI as well?

Currently, I’m not aware of any workaround for changing or suspending timers, but I believe it’s a really valuable suggestion and I’ll create an internal epic for it.

Hello @aleksander-dytko

Yes we are currently using Cockpit UI but not for updating timers.

Hi @aleksander-dytko

Did you create the epic for changing and sspending timers for Camunda 8?

Regards
John

Hi @jsarafidis,

Yes - the epic in the internal epic has been created. I’ll let you know about the updates.

Thanks,
Aleksander

1 Like

Hi @aleksander-dytko

I was going through the release notes of Camunda 8.4 and noticed the following items:

I also noticed this new option in the Zeebe gRPC API:

I haven’t had the time to test this, but I am guessing that this means that we will be able to adjust the deadline of a timer. Is this correct?
In addition to that do you know if a “suspend timer” feature is planned for one of the next releases?
I checked the roadmap but could not find any similar tickets.