JUnit test failing with NPE while using Variables objectValue method to store large value in execution context

JUnit test failing with NPE while using Variables objectValue method to store large value in execution context

execution.setVariable("variable", Variables.serializedObjectValue(getMessage(messageString)).create());

tried differently

execution.setVariable("variable", Variables.objectValue(getMessage(messageString()))
                .serializationDataFormat(Variables.SerializationDataFormats.JAVA).create());

as far as I can see there are 2 issues:

1. not able to mock the Variables class
  2. not able to workaround the mocking of Variable class

error stack trace for the location of invocation:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.variable.VariableUtil.checkJavaSerialization(VariableUtil.java:47)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.variable.scope.AbstractVariableScope.setVariableLocal(AbstractVariableScope.java:308)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.variable.scope.AbstractVariableScope.setVariable(AbstractVariableScope.java:303)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.variable.scope.AbstractVariableScope.setVariable(AbstractVariableScope.java:284)

how can I mock the Variables object in my Junit or can I have a workaround if not possible to mock the variable class

solution:

CommandContext mockedCmdContext = mock(CommandContext.class);
        ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl mockedConfiguration = mock(ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl.class);
        Context.setCommandContext(mockedCmdContext);
        Context.setProcessEngineConfiguration(mockedConfiguration);