Migrate instances from one version to another in camunda 8

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how we can migrate process instances from one version to another in camunda 8 using spring zeebe client.

Hi,

Currently, Camunda 8 does not support process instance migration. However, it’s planned.
As a workaround, you can create a new instance, copy the state of the old instance to the new one by (a) moving the execution to the respective position in the model and (b) copying variables. Afterward, cancel the old instance.

@StephanHaarmann - thanks. We cant go to production without migration feature right . your workaround will work fine in lower environments but in production duplicating existing instance and cancelling the older one doesnt look like a better approach. any idea when this feature will be rolled out? so we can decide if we have to wait or we have to proceed without it.

It’s planned for the release 8.3.0 (October, 2023):

@StephanHaarmann - sounds good. Thanks!

Hi Team,

I believe this feature is still under development. Any thoughts on when and in which version is this feature planned.
Also I had a query. We have our application deployed on prod with camunda 8.2 version. We installed the components using helm charts. Whenever the feature arrives and we need to update the camunda from 8.2 to say 8.x version. I.e reinstalling the helm charts, what will happen to our existing instances in prod. ? How can we take a backup or migrate these processinstances in 8.2 to 8.x version ?

Hi @ShilpaN.Chalke , As per my knowledge migration feature will be rolled out in April/May 2024. I will let the team answer your 2nd question.

Hi @ShilpaN.Chalke,

They will stay. Running process instances are not touched by an upgrade of the Zeebe engine.

Take a look at the docs here how to make a backup: Backup and restore | Camunda 8 Docs

Hope this helps, Ingo

Thanks @Ingo_Richtsmeier and @syedkp