Migrating Camunda data from Oracle to PostgreSQL

We are planning to migrate the Camunda data (with existing instances) from Oracle(v19) to PostgreSQL(v14).

Can you please suggest scripts/tools/methods if any. I hope it is achievable. Will the migrated process instances continue the flow with PostgreSQL automatically?

(Spring Boot application with Camunda community edition 7.12)

Thanks

Hello @jonathan.lukas Could you please check and share your view on this. We are planning to switch the DB from Oracle to PostgreSQL with all the running and history processes data.

Hello @suresh.barika ,

basically, this should work when using some tool to migrate, like this. I don’t know the tool myself, so I can’t say anything about its quality.

One thing that you could consider is to upgrade your platform version to 7.18.0, use the DDL statements to setup a fresh schema and only use the DML statements to import the current state.
However, I am not sure how often this was done, so maybe try this and if it fails, just migrate everything.

Before migrating, please shutdown your application and keep the Oracle database until you are very sure that the migration worked.

When the migration works as expected, your running process instances will simply continue.

If this migration would not work at all, you could still phase out the old database by bootstrapping 2 engines, one for “legacy” being connected to the Oracle database and the default one being connected to the Postgres database.

I hope this helps

Jonathan

1 Like