Modeler Unable To Connect To Zeebe Using "None" Authentication

Modeler is unable to communicate with self-managed Zeebe cluster. The following error is received:

When analyzing the logs, I see the following:

ERROR app:zeebe-api connection check failed {
  parameters: { endpoint: { type: 'selfHosted', url: 'http://localhost:26500' } }
} Error: 16 UNAUTHENTICATED: Expected bearer token at header with key [authorization], but found nothing
    at callErrorFromStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/call.js:31:19)
    at Object.onReceiveStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/client.js:192:76)
    at /Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/call-interface.js:78:35
    at Object.onReceiveStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/zeebe-node/dist/lib/GrpcClient.js:97:36)
    at InterceptingListenerImpl.onReceiveStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/call-interface.js:73:23)
    at Object.onReceiveStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/client-interceptors.js:360:141)
    at Object.onReceiveStatus (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/client-interceptors.js:323:181)
    at /Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/resolving-call.js:99:78
    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:77:11)
for call at
    at ServiceClientImpl.makeUnaryRequest (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/client.js:160:32)
    at ServiceClientImpl.<anonymous> (/Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@grpc/grpc-js/build/src/make-client.js:105:19)
    at /Applications/Camunda Modeler.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/zeebe-node/dist/lib/GrpcClient.js:272:47 {
  code: 16,
  details: 'Expected bearer token at header with key [authorization], but found nothing',
  metadata: Metadata {
    internalRepr: Map(1) { 'content-type' => [Array] },
    options: {}
  }
}

I do not understand why this error was received, when explicitly using Authentication: None: “‘Expected bearer token at header with key [authorization], but found nothing’”. This was not encountered with the version of modeler that was being used in early 2023 (I don’t recall the version number), but this error is currently being experienced in 5.18.0. How can I get past this error so I can deploy diagrams?

Hi @bdburci - I will report this to the product team. There are two options to deploy right now:

Hi @nathan.loding , thank you for this. I would definitely like to try the 5.19.0 build to see if it’s resolved, although I’m unable to find that in the github releases. Do you have a link where it is publicly available?

Also, regarding zbctl, I believe it is a requirement that a client is set up in keycloak for this sort of usage. Can you confirm?

Apologies, I misread something … the 5.19.0 builds are not available yet. That’s my mistake, apologies.

zbctl works with no authentication. You can just specify the address in the command (either create an environment variable named ZEEBE_ADDRESS or use the --address arg) and it will try to connect with no authentication. (I am trying to test this locally but I have an expired/invalid certificate issue that I need to correct first!)

No problem! When attempting to connect with zbctl, I get the same error:

% zbctl --insecure status --address localhost:26500
Error: rpc error: code = Unauthenticated desc = Expected bearer token at header with key [authorization], but found nothing

Is this something possibly configured in the gateway by default? No changes were made to any values upon installation; this is a plain helm install using the latest charts (8.3.4).

Hi @nathan.loding , just wanted to check in on this. How can I get around running into this issue using zbctl and modeler?

Hi @bdburci - I am back from the holidays now! Because other tools are failing to connect, it’s likely a configuration issue with your gateway. How have you configured your gateway? Are you using Docker or Kubernetes? Can you share your docker-compose or values.yaml file?

I hope you had a great holiday! This was a vanilla install from the latest helm charts, using the helm install camunda camunda/camunda-platform command. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @bdburci - in that case, the default installation uses Identity for authentication. I suspect you need to go into Identity, create client credentials, use those to fetch a bearer token, and then you’ll be all set.