Modeling a condition

There is a step in my model, where I have to make a choice: I can either create a new account, or use an existing one. If the new account is created, near the end of the process there is an additional step. My current diagram just asks if the account was created, but I think that question is redundant, as I could easily make that step come from the step where the account was created.

I thought of doing a merge with a parallel gateway, with an arrow coming from the “Create Account” activity, and the second arrow coming form de end of my process, but if I do that, when the account is not created, there will be an instance of the parallel gateway that will never complete.

How can I model this?

Hi,

could you please attach your BPMN Process? Or a simplified version of it.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Here it is.

I would like to delete the second conditional gateway and accomplish the same thing.

Hi,

thanks. Is “Do something with the new account” in any way related to the “Do more stuff” and “Do some things” or can it be executed before or parallel to them. Maybe you could also attach your proposed change which didn’t worked as expected?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Yes, it is related and it has to be done before the “Do something with the new account”.

While trying to model the change I had proposed, I realised it made no sense, so forget my proposed change. Can you think of any way to avoid the “Is the account new?” conditional and still have it behave the same way?

What you are searching for is a conditional flows out of the task directly?

In this example the path to Task B is only taken, if a certain condition holds true. Else the default path to Task C is taken.

This is considered an anti-pattern because it is less clear and explicit as using a gateway to denote the decision point.