Modelling how to be notified for an incident but leaving token at the task

Hi all,

I am using the external task pattern for all the service tasks which is working out fine. I know that when using async before option an incident will be registered on the the task it self which is fine. What I would like is to also be notified when an incident occurs on a process.
I saw in articles that you can register a custom incident handler that could trigger a notification but I was wondering if there is a way to model it in bpmn. I can raise an bpmn error but that will result in that the token is moved to the error handling event since that is always an interrupting event. I would like to keep the incident on the task itself so it would be possible to retry from that spot.

Hope my case makes a bit sense :slight_smile:

thanks a lot

ps: by the way, I am using the community edition of Camunda which doesn’t allow me to move the token back or something like that.

1 Like

What people tend to do is to setup an incident monitoring call as part of their existing monitoring system. (e.g nagios)
The idea would be to occasionally poll the engine via rest to get the total count of open incidents and the notify the responsible party to try to fix it.

Also -

Thats true in the case of the cockpit implementation, but the API used to move tokens is available if you wanted to try to implement the feature yourself.

Hi Niall,

Thanks for your fast response! I understand your point on a polling service. I indeed saw that the REST API provides access to retrieve incidents but I didn’t think of integrating that with a monitoring system/notification system. Sounds like good a logical plan. (I like it better than writing and registering custom notification handlers). I will go forward with your suggestion. Thanks.

Yes I was referring indeed to the cockpit part. I have seen your flashy demos multiple times now where you drag and drop the token back :slight_smile: Although it’s available in the REST API it’s still looks quite cumbersome to get this part right using multiple REST calls (getting states, determine exact id’s to jump back to and stuff like that). I didn’t dive deep into that part though. If you could point me to some code snippets/postman examples for it, it would be great!

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi again John (i didn’t realize it was you :slight_smile: )

Sadly i don’t really have any good code examples but the rest docs do show really good examples. The remaining integration would need a bit of experimentation regarding how you’d like the implementation to look.

Hi Niall,
I already thought so you wouldn’t know it was me :slight_smile: Normally I never add a picture to a forum account but in this case I thought it would be fun to do so. I sadly was too late to register for the English Java training in april in Berlin (sold out :frowning: ) Hope to meet you next time.

I will try it out together with the part to migrate existing processes to new versions. Thanks for pointing exact REST service out to me.

1 Like