Operate failing to connect to AWS hosted elasticsearch

Here is my config

In the operate logs, I see
Error occurred while connecting to Elasticsearch: clustername [48227------------:-------------ick], vpc-prod-redacted.as---------------------.com:80. Will be retried (2/50) …
operate |
operate | org.apache.http.ConnectionClosedException: Connection is closed

I have verified that the elasticsearch cluster is reachable and I can see new indices created by the broker. This is definitely not a a network reachability issue. Am I doing something wrong in my config?

Versions:
Elasticsearch: 6.8.0
zeebe: 0.24.1
operate: 0.24.2

The same cluster config works with local ES running in a container.

Hello @prthkms,
Thank you for the question!

You described that it is definitely no network issue and as far as I can see the cluster health check in Operate is failing.
Do you have the possibility to do the health check directly on Elasticsearch?
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.8/cluster-health.html#cluster-health
Operate takes the clusterName of the response and compares it with the given clusterName in config.
The check will succeed if the names are equal.

Hi @prthkms,

Looking at the Operate config your telling Operate that ElasticSearch is on port 80. I believe AWS ES is on 443 not 80. Try changing this and please do let us know if this resolved your issue or not.

Best,
Phil

I found a fix but forgot to update the forum. I got it to work by enabling port 80 on AWS ES. Since the entire cluster is in an isolated network, this was an acceptable solution.

Hi,
I am facing a pretty strange error log when operate trying to connect elasticsearch ( AWS OpenSearch v1 )
zeebe : 1.2.3
operate: 1.2.4
2021-11-17T18:40:53.252+02:00

logs
2021-11-17 16:40:53.251 WARN 10 — [ main] i.c.o.u.RetryOperation : java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.net.ConnectException: Timeout connecting to [elasticsearch-domain/192.168.1.80:9200]
2021-11-17 16:40:53.251 WARN 10 — [ main] i.c.o.u.RetryOperation : java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.net.ConnectException: Timeout connecting to [elasticsearch-domain/192.168.1.80:9200]

The same cluster config works with local ES running in a container.