Platfrom 8 task and execution listeners

In Platform 8, what takes the place of listeners?

2 Likes

Hey @Chuck_Irvine

in Camunda Platform 8 we do not have the concept of execution listeners, but you can use a separate service task or add this logic to your workers.

Hope that helps.

Greets
Chris

I don’t see how this would work. Could you elaborate a bit?

Then there are task listeners, how might these be implemented?

1 Like

Well, it depends on your use case.

You could fetch the Operate API: Operate API (REST) | Camunda Platform 8

Or, you could use an exporter to consume the stream: Exporters | Camunda Platform 8. By default, Zeebe supports an Elasticsearch exporter: zeebe/exporters/elasticsearch-exporter at main · camunda/zeebe · GitHub
Or, other community exporters: GitHub - camunda-community-hub/awesome-camunda-platform-8: Awesome Camunda Cloud Projects

Please describe what you try to achieve.

1 Like

At this point, I’m just evaluating C8. I’ve used listeners quite a bit and wondered what comparable functionality exists in C8. I’ll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks

2 Likes

Can you share your use cases for listeners? What are you using those for exactly?
We are currently defining how we want to support those use cases going forward and as such look into all examples we can find (as some use cases we know from Camunda 7 might be better supported using different constructs).

Thx!

I don’t think I can come close to listing all of the use cases that I’ve seen for execution and task listeners. In general, I think it’s best to provide a general mechanism to react to all of the events to which listeners can react.

One example that comes to mind is sending assignment email when ever a task is assigned to an individual or a group that the individual belongs to.

Another more general example comes from a recent contract that I worked on. There, all execution and task events were propagated to Kafka for other system components to subscribe to. This was a central and important component of a very large system implementation.

2 Likes

Here the same,

We also have requirements here to send an email / send notification via Teams or Slack when certain tasks are assigned or re-assigned. I think it is a very common use case in the BPM world.

Regards.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly the notification and business db update for the task assignees and variable updates. With c8, I too feel many “easiness” is lost. Rest API no proper working tutorial. Also c8 says, graphql is also not supported later. Docker with k8, workstation is hanging. Apart from the design easiness we need to have the code and real world application implementation. Till today no such easy to run c8 rest API app.

1 Like

@Abdul_Renish I had the same usecase, Listener was playing a vital role in C7 version in task lifecycle. We are still evaluating the C8, so don’t know why industries has to choose the enterprise one. It’s too early to announce C8 as a working model Aren’t?

1 Like

Hi folks. I think my case is exactly that. I need to trigger some kind of listener or worker at the moment that my user assigns the user task or reassigns it. How can I achieve this on C8? See my image that illustrates my use case. As was mentioned, I cannot call a worker to execute something after the user task because my token will remain on the previous user task.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 11.57.26

1 Like

At the moment, you need to implement the user task handler yourself, rather than use the Tasklist application. So your worker is the worker that services the user tasks. That means you implement the assignment / reassignment and all associated logic - and you can implement a notification framework for reassignment.

1 Like