Revoke permissions to update process variables in the cockpit

I am currently trying to create a group that has UPDATE and READ permissions, but should not be able to update process variables. I am doing this programmatically with the following code:

setPermissions(
          "user",
          List.of(
              Permissions.READ,
              Permissions.UPDATE,
              ProcessInstancePermissions.RETRY_JOB,
              ProcessInstancePermissions.SUSPEND),
          Resources.PROCESS_INSTANCE);

where the setPermissions function is defined like this:

private void setPermissions(
      final String groupId, final List<Permission> permission, final Resource... resources) {
    for (Resource resource : resources) {
      Authorization authorization =
          authorizationService.createNewAuthorization(Authorization.AUTH_TYPE_GRANT);
      authorization.setGroupId(groupId);
      authorization.setResource(resource);
      authorization.setResourceId("*");
      authorization.setPermissions(permission.toArray(new Permission[0]));
      authorizationService.saveAuthorization(authorization);
    }
  }

As you can see, I left out the UPDATE_VARIABLE permission, but I’m still able to update process variables if I login with a user in group “user”.
Another thing that I tried is to revoke the UPDATE_VARIABLE permission. If I do that programmatically, it creates an entry in the act_ru_authorization table that revokes all permissions. I then tried to insert an entry for that in the database manually with the following data:

id_                  | rev_ | type_ | group_id_ | user_id_ | resource_type_ | resource_id_ | perms_ | removal_time_ | root_proc_inst_id_
--------------------------------------+------+-------+-----------+----------+----------------+--------------+--------+---------------+--------------------
 571d1f6f-3439-11ed-9dc0-22d15b1a0765 |    1 |     2 | user      |          |              8 | *            |    128 |               |

This should revoke the UPDATE_VARIABLE permission, but does not have any effect. I can still modify process variables.

So my question is, if this is possible at all and if yes, how I can do it.

Thanks in advance for your support!