Sample REST API case study

Greetings. I am new to Camunda, but have stepped through several of the videos, and have read most of the “Real Life BPMN” book. My assigned task is to design and execute a BPMN/DMN workflow such that the underlying software driving the workflow is consistent with my colleagues’ existing development “toolbox”. Accordingly, I will likely use Camunda’s REST API, using Python 3 (not Jython) with either Requests or Flask. Certainly, if anyone has some thoughts as to the more appropriate Python REST framework, they would be most appreciated.

My main issue is that I cannot find an example of a realistic REST API use case. The REST API video covers a rather rudimentary use case (as one would expect), using Postman. And Camunda provides an amazingly comprehensive on-line REST API reference. I am looking for something “in between” – a narrative of how a small-to-moderate use case employs some of the APIs in its workflow, and uses the API to move the token(s) along the BPMN diagram.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or links.
Jay

Any specific thing you are trying to do with the rest API? It’s a pretty standard API. So the samples depend on your use case you are trying to implement in the BPMN

Hello, Stephen. You’re right; that API is pretty standard. My issue is more conceptual/semantic; I would like to see how others have expressed workflow concepts in terms of specific interfaces. As a non-trivial example: I think some of our decisions will require DMN as opposed to a gateway – how does one determine the interface that corresponds to “moving the token” to the decision logic, and then to the next appropriate task? Please note that this is JUST an example; I would love to see a real-world workflow that has been implemented with REST. It need not be in Python or any other specific language. Thanks.

Hi @JayBraun,

maybe this blog post helps you: https://blog.camunda.com/post/2018/02/custom-tasklist-examples/

Cheers, Ingo

1 Like

Thanks very much,
Jay