Source available License and Customization of Core functionality

Greetings!

I just dealt with some details about the new Camunda 8 Cloud platform and got quite hooked with the new architecture.
A couple of years ago we integrated Camunda 7 platform with our ERP software, so users can access all workflow functionality directly within the ERP system without having to change frontends. This ist our unique selling point.
To realize this we had to customize the engine in various parts. For example we hooked into the deployment process, customized the way, process variables are handled and developed our own process logging

If we would think about switching to Camunda 8 platform, we would have to think about how to realize these customizations within the new platform. My question is about the license model of Camunda 8 and in which extent it would allow us to customize the software for production use, as it is not a straight forward open source license anymore? We probably would have to change some core parts to get the integration running, as we need it.

Would be great to get some feedback on this matter!

Hi @SebastianMS

Thanks for the question - @BerndRuecker wrote a piece about how open source Camunda 8 is and you can ready it here. If you have followup questions or need clarifications please feel free to post them here and we’ll do our best to address them

Good Morning!

thanks for your reply! I read the articel and the linked license descriptions and understand the following:

we can integrate, use and modify the “green” and “striped green” components without restrictions except for not beeing able to use them in a “Commercial Process Automation Service” as described in the license, right?

That leaves me with two questions:

If we like to license and use Tasklist/Operate/Optimize, are we allowed to make modifikations for production use in these components or not?

After reading the examples concerning what is a “Commercial Process Automation Service” and what is not, I still find it hard to grasp, if our use case falls into that restriction:

We integrated Camunda into our ERP solution and deliver it to our customers as one software package which runs on-premise for each customer seperatly.
Our customers all use very similar processes, so we define them as standard processes and sell them to our customers.
But we made extensions to the engine, so our customers can modify these standard processes on their own in parts like:
-deadlines for eskalations
-groups/users to which tasks are assigned to
-activate/deactivate optional steps in the process

And we have a component allowing our customers to create simple processes connecting user tasks, but without beeing able to use gateways or service tasks

How would you evaluate this use case?