There already is a message event subscription for the message with name

While deploying a new process via REST API, getting the following error- "

{
“type”: “ProcessEngineException”,
“message”: “ENGINE-01011 Cannot deploy process definition ‘Sales_Skeleton.bpmn’: there already is a message event subscription for the message with name ‘xyz’.”
}

"
I already have a different process which uses a same message name ‘xyz’ but that shouldn’t stop me from using the same message name in a different process.

1 Like

If you have 2 processes with the same message start event the engine will not let you deploy it because it wouldn’t know which one to start when the message comes in.

2 Likes

Is it restriction by BPMN specification or is it a engine limitation? Ideally, in a real world modelling scenario I cannot think of a use case where I will need this but from a process engine perspective it shouldn’t not be a limitation. @Niall Your thoughts on this?

This adhears to the specification - in BPMN 2.0 a message must have a 1-to-1 correlation when sent. By deploying 2 processes which wait for the same message it would make a 1-to-1 correlation impossible.

Another way would be to use a signal event instead - this can have a 1-to-X correlation and so if you wanted to start multiple processes with the same event you would just use that.

3 Likes