Timer catch event that has a fixed date which is in the past

Hi all,

I have modelled a reminder process that has 4 different dates when it needs to trigger a reminder process. I used a event based gateway to link 4 intermediate timer events and set the type to date and use a variable as date value. The variables are pre calculated dates based on the scheduled date. What I expected is that the token will wait at the event based gateway till the first reminder timer event that has the oldest timer event to be triggered. This will sent a reminder and then loop the token back to the event based gateway and wait for the next event to be triggered. But the result is that the timer events with a fixed date that is in the past, is always triggered. That was not what I expected based on the training information. (maybe I misunderstood) if I put a catching event like 2018-01-01T00:00:00 (which is in the past) I would expect that this event will never be triggered because the exact date time has already past. I would like to know if this is the expected behaviour or this is a bug. I am using camunda BPM platform v7.7.0.

Thanks in advance for the help!

With kind regards,
John

Hi @j0hnli,

have a look at this diagram: https://cawemo.com/share/be340807-7118-4154-947b-63c6f1ee91ea.

Maybe you can replace three noninterrupting timer events with an expression to calculate cycle due dates: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.10/reference/bpmn20/events/timer-events/#time-cycle

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

Hi Igno,

thanks for your answer. Yes both options are viable, I now changed the script to recalculate the next reminder date and is working as well.

But my initial question still remains, why when a token arrives at a timer event that has a date set in the past is automatically triggered. I would expect that the token would wait indefinitely for the event to trigger because the date already past.
Included a screenshot from the training material explaining timer events.

In this scenario: I thought when I was too late with buying the flowers my partner would never be woken :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Regards,
John

Hi @j0hnli,

when a token arrives at the event based gateway, all timer events will be saved as jobs in the database. And jobs with a due date in the past will be executed in the next run of the job executor.

It queries with ... where dueDate <= now.

After a event based gateway you can only have a single timer event as only the first makes sense.

I double checked it with your example. You will wake your partner immediatly after buying the flowers if you run this process now.

Cheers, Ingo

1 Like

Hi Ingo,
Thanks for once again for your quick and clear response.
Then I probably wasn’t listening good enough to Niall during the training :slight_smile: I thought I heard because the date time was definite the trigger would never be activated if it is in the past. But now I know and will model this in a different way. Thanks!

Regards,
John

1 Like

Hi @j0hnli,

there may be a difference between the BPMN specification and the implementation in the engine. And I havn’t been in the Specification document for this point.

Cheers, Ingo

@j0hnli note that your original model has a race condition in it: where if your timer is executing at the same time as you receive the “Receive Finished Msg” event, then that event will not be received / be “uncorrelated”. This is because you only have a single “token”/ execution moving through your bpmn, thus when the token is on the timer it is not waiting for the finished msg event.

Your cleanest would be something like:

you could set your timer to execute on a Cron cycle like Every day at 9am. And then pass the deadline date as a variable in your message. Then all your actual timer logic about what to do for each of the N days before deadline would go in the Notification/Reminder process.

1 Like