I have a timer on a simple workflow that has a timer event duration of PT3S. I confirmed the job executor started successfully at startup. The timer seems to only recognize a smallest unit of a minute. So the timer does trigger, but after a minute. I tested this timer it always triggers at 1 minute. The same BPMN was working just fine in 7.3.2 where the timer was triggered in 3 seconds.
I would also mention that timers are best interpreted as ‘will fire after the expiration time’. Hence as far as BPMN is concerned, the meaning should be interpreted as ‘will not happen before…’ as opposed to ‘will happen at…’
As pointed out though, there are system parameters and behaviours which can influence the actual timer latency…
It did not make a difference. In fact, the behavior was exactly the same - 60 seconds delay. Are there any other config properties that need to be set? I also noticed the job-executor properties are limited to Tomcat. Are job-acquisition properties also limited to Tomcat, and if so, it obviously will not affect the behavior of our Websphere 8.5.5 env.
Thanks again for you prompt responses. Let me know if there are other properties to be changed as well.
It seems you used the wrong property name for configuring the job-acquisition.
The reason the job-executor properties are only supported on Tomcat is that the threadpool used by the job-executor is managed by Camunda itself on Tomcat. The threadpool on JavaEE servers (besides JBoss/Wildfly) is managed by a so called ‘workmanager’ using the JavaEE features of the the Java Connector Architecture (JCA) specification. See here how the Job-Executor, the Threadpool and the Job-Acquistion play together.
So in short, the correct property you want to set is the ‘waitTimeInMillis’ on the job-acquisition element like in the example below.
See here for more properties the job-acquisition supports.
When using Camunda 7.3.2, none of these properties were set in bpm-platform.xml. In fact, we have two environments (Camunda 7.3.2 and Camunda 7.5.3) running the same BPMN and integration test, and the test fails only in the Camunda 7.5.3 environment. It appears Job Executor has changed from 7.3.2 to 7.5.3.