Two participants calling the same sub-process (call activity) in which they both participate.

Dear Forum Members,

I am new to BPMN to BPMN modelling and would greatly appreciate an opinion of the matter below.

Could the following hypothetical case be in line with BPMN? If not, what is wrong with it?
PARENT PROCESS:

SUB-PROCESS (CALLED ACTIVITY):

I guess the gist of the question is whether 2 participants may call the same sub-process (in which they both participate) in a simultaneous manner?
Is it safe to assume that for each call each participant will be redirected to its respective pool within the called activity?

Best regards,
Jafar

Hi Jafar and welcome to the forum,

If I understand you goal correctly, there are some errors in your process. But let’s take a step back:
A single BPMN model can describe multiple processes. In your example, each pool is considered to be a separate process. So, you have modeled four processes and not just two.

Secondly, call activities link a process that is called synchronously. In your example, “Called Activity - Pool B” is not suited to be referenced by a call activity, because it starts with a message start event. Processes called by a call activity must include a single none start event.

Thirdly, you need some kind of synchronization between the separate process: “Called Activity - Pool B” must inform “Called Activity - Pool A” about the result of the decision.

Here is a redesigned example:

1 Like