Unable to configure Postgresql DB in tomcat

Hi,

I am configuring postgresql db in tomcat 7.7.0.
I have done following changes for this,

Change in server.xml

<Resource name="jdbc/postgres"
          auth="Container"
          type="javax.sql.DataSource" 
          factory="org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory"
          uniqueResourceName="process-engine"
          driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver" 
          url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/test"
          defaultTransactionIsolation="READ_COMMITTED"
          username="postgres"  
          password="pwd"
          maxActive="20"
          minIdle="5" />

Change in bpm-platform.xml

property name=“databaseSchemaUpdate”>false</property .

I have followed the same as describe here: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.7/installation/full/tomcat/manual/.

Here is attached the error logcatalina.2017-07-01.log (21.5 KB)

I don’t know what I am missing.

Thank you,
Jignesh Pithva.

Hi,

I think your problem is as follows;

couldn’t lookup datasource from java:jdbc/ProcessEngine: Name [ProcessEngine] is not bound in this Context

This is the exception, hence the engine is complaining that it can’t find a datasource called ProcessEngine. In your config you have the following;

<Resource name=“jdbc/postgres”

Hence you have called your datasource postgres. Thus I would suggest you change your name from postgres to ProcessEngine.

regards

Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I have changed resource name from “jdbc/postgres” to “jdbc/ProcessEngine” still I was getting camunda tables does not exist error.

Then I dropped all database cleared all servers and I have created new database named “camunda” and and ran all the script file provided in distribution tomcat.

PFB snapshot of pgAdmin,

My server.xml looks like:

While starting tomcat its just getting closed after logging below error in catalina…log file,
PF detailed error log : catalina.2017-07-01.log (45.0 KB)

I don’t understand error is clearly showing that it’s not finding camunda database but still I am unable to resolve it.
I am new to postgresql, so I have also validated JDBC connection by custom JAVA code, it works fine.
Can anyone please look into this issue? If you need more info please let me know.

Thank you,
Jignesh Pithva.

Hi,

Looks like you can now connect to the database, however from the log you now have this error;

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: database “camunda” does not exist

Hence the engine cannot find the schema called ‘camunda’. The schema is define in your jdbc connection string as per below;

url=“jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/camunda”

Hence you may want to create this schema first, then run the create table scripts in the context of this schema. Alternatively, create the schema, then let the engine create the tables if you are using a packaged distribution

regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you, this resolve my issue. Now I am able to connect my database.
I don’t know if I need to define any specific postgresql server configuration to connect its database.
PFB snapshot,

As earlier I was connecting to camunda database of PostgreSQL 9.0 and I was getting “org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: database “camunda” does not exist” . Then I have created camunda schema in PostgreSQL 9.6 and run the tomcat. Its get connected and also all tables has been generated automatically.

Also in camunda documentation it has been mentioned that there should be execute scripts explicitly given in distribution tomcat server to create camunda tables/indices etc. But here its get generated automatically. I don’t know how.

Thank you,
JIgnesh Pithva.

HI…

I HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU -

Configuring a PostgreSQL Datasource in Apache Tomcat

Step 1. Shut down Tomcat

1. Run bin/shutdown.sh or bin/shutdown.bat to bring Tomcat down while you are making these changes.
  2. Make a backup of your <CONFLUENCE_HOME>/confluence.cfg.xml file and your <CONFLUENCE_INSTALLATION>/conf/server.xml file, so that you can easily revert if you have a problem.

Step 2. Install the PostgreSQL Server database driver

1. Download the PostgreSQL Server JDBC driver JAR file.
  • Links are available on this page: Database JDBC Drivers.
  • Alternatively, you can get the driver from your Confluence installation: /confluence/WEB-INF/lib/postgresql-x.x-x.jdbcx.jar , where ‘x’ represents a version number. ``
  1. Copy the JAR file into the lib folder of your Tomcat installation: <TOMCAT-INSTALLATION>/lib .

Step 3. Configure Tomcat

1. Edit the conf/server.xml file in your Tomcat installation.
  2. Find the following lines:
<Context path="" docBase="../confluence" debug="0" reloadable="true">
      <!-- Logger is deprecated in Tomcat 5.5. Logging configuration for Confluence is specified in confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties -->
  1. Insert the DataSource Resource element inside the Context element, directly after the opening <Context.../> line, before Manager :
<!-- If you're using Confluence 5.7 or below; change maxTotal to maxActive -->
<Resource name="jdbc/confluence" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
          username="postgres"
          password="postgres"
          driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
          url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/yourDatabaseName"
          maxTotal="25"
          maxIdle="10"
          validationQuery="select 1" /> 
  • Replace the username and password parameters with the correct values for your database
  • In the url parameter, replace the word ’ yourDatabaseName ’ with the name of the database your Confluence data will be stored in.

Notes:

• If switching from a direct JDBC connection to data source, you can find the above details in your <CONFLUENCE_HOME>/confluence.cfg.xml file.
  • Here are the configuration properties for Tomcat’s standard data source resource factory ( org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory ):
    • driverClassName — Fully qualified Java class name of the JDBC driver to be used.
    • max total — The maximum number of database connections in the pool at the same time.
    • maxIdle — The maximum number of connections that can sit idle in this pool at the same time.
    • maxWaitMillis — The maximum number of milliseconds that the pool will wait (when there are no available connections) for a connection to be returned before throwing an exception.
    • password — Database password to be passed to our JDBC driver.
    • url — Connection URL to be passed to our JDBC driver. (For backward compatibility, the property driverName is also recognized.)
    • user — Database username to be passed to our JDBC driver.
    • validationQuery — SQL query that can be used by the pool to validate connections before they are returned to the application. If specified, this query MUST be an SQL SELECT statement that returns at least one row.
  • Why is the validationQuery element needed? When a database server reboots, or there is a network failure, all the connections in the connection pool are broken and this normally requires a Application Server reboot. However, the Commons DBCP (Database Connection Pool) which is used by the Tomcat application server can validate connections before issuing them by running a simple SQL query, and if a broken connection is detected, a new one is created to replace it. To do this, you will need to set the “validation query” option on the database connection pool.

Step 4. Configure the Confluence web application

1. Edit this file in your Confluence installation: <CONFLUENCE_INSTALLATION>/ confluence/WEB-INF/web.xml.
  2. Insert the following element just before </web-app> near the end of the file:
<resource-ref>
    <description>Connection Pool</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/confluence</res-ref-name>
    <res-type>javax.sql.Datasource</res-type>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

If you are changing an existing Confluence installation over to using a Tomcat Datasource:

1. Edit the <CONFLUENCE_HOME>/ confluence.cfg.xml file.
  2. Delete any line that contains a property that begins with hibernate.
  3. Insert the following at the start of the <properties> section:
<property name="hibernate.setup"><![CDATA[true]]></property>
<property name="hibernate.dialect"><![CDATA[net.sf.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect]]></property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.datasource"><![CDATA[java:comp/env/jdbc/confluence]]></property>

Step 5. Restart Tomcat

Run bin/startup.sh or bin/startup.bat to start Tomcat with the new settings.

Regards,
SRI

Or maybe the following video might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0glID94wA