Upgrade apache tomcat version

Hi Team,

We are using Camunda Platform Run (community edition version 7.11). We need to upgrade the version of apache tomcat which is used internally by Camunda Platform Run. What are the steps to upgrade apache tomcat only without changing the camunda version.

Hello @Paresh ,

as Camunda Platform Run relies on Spring Boot (which relies on Tomcat) and version dependencies are defined during build-time, this could be a bit hard.

7.11 is quite an old version of Camunda Platform. Why would you not upgrade?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your prompt reply .
The security team has requested to upgrade the apache tomcat version.
I thought upgrading just the apache tomcat will be easier. If you think upgrading the camunda platform will be a better option, Can you please suggest the steps do that ?

Regards,
Paresh

Hello @Paresh ,

I can only recommend to upgrade the Camunda Version. You can find a guide here:

For you, this would mean: perform the database upgrade, build your app with a newer Camunda Run Base Image, done.

I hope this helps

Jonathan

Thanks for the details.
We are using Camunda DMN and BPMN. Now shall i upgrade it to latest version camunda Platform 7.17.0 or Camunda 8.0 ? Which will required minimum changes ? since as per my understanding Camunda 8.0 will also required change in our Application side as well.
Also i saw there is a limitation to use camunda platform 8 community version in Production
Kindly provide more details

regards,
Paresh

Hi @Paresh,

it depends.

The upgrade to Camunda 8 will be more future proof, but it is more effort as the complete setup changed. Using Camunda 7 Run you are already on the closest runtime environment to Camunda 8. But there may be details to consider: Migrating from Camunda Platform 7 | Camunda Platform 8 Docs

The upgrade to Camunda 7.17 is straight forward and less effort as you don’t have to touch your processes and service task implementation.

Hope this helps, Ingo