Use information requirement and input data for simulation

Is it possible to model the input data for a decision to help with both simulation and integration? For example, there is a simulator written by Radek Adamec that allows a user to enter input data and simulate the output of a decision. Other products have the ability to interact with a decision in real time. I have noticed that if I copy the InputData and InformationRequirement across from a Kie DMN document, that Radek’s simulator shows the requirement and allows me to enter test input data. It then executes the model and shows me the output. I am aware that the from the Camunda perspective InputData has no execution impacts and that it has been left out of the Modeler. In my view, that means the Kie modeler in VS Code provides a better experience for a DMN developer. Is there a chance that the ability to add a structured, typed inputdata information requirement could be added to Modeler?

Did you try Camunda DMN simulator to test your input data?

https://consulting.camunda.com/dmn-simulator/

1 Like

Hey that’s a neat simulator! Thanks for pointing it out. I wasn’t aware of it before. Thank you. One follow-up if I may, before closing this. Does the simulator work entirely locally, or does it invoke an online decision engine? It’s a question that I will be asked.

It does invoke online DMN engine, Camunda product team provides this simulator, don’t have details how it’s configured.

OK. Thanks. I guess to have a purely local execution it would need a JavaScript DMN engine… interesting idea. I am going to leave this open, however, as I think the ability to model input data within the Camunda Desktop Modeler would be a useful addition.

Hi @mynym,

you can embed the DMN engine in a Java Application and provide a simple HTML page for in-/output.

With Spring Boot, this would be quite easy.

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @Ingo_Richtsmeier. A local deployment such as the one you describe is a good way to avoid any security concerns associated with the invocation of a service hosted outside my organisation. I think that is a good answer.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.