Use StartEvent:Initiator to start a process with the Camunda REST API

Hello,

When creating a model with BPMN.IO, an initiator can be linked to a StartEvent.
I am using the Camunda REST API to start processes from a C# environment.
Is there a way to start the corresponding deployed process without the use of a database that stores the connection between the Initiator and the ProcessID?

kinds regards,
R3vlyn

Hi,

It is not clear to me what you want to achieve. What I think I understand: You want to use the camunda:initiator attribute, yet you don’t want historic process instances linked to that user (via #getStartUser()). If that is correct, why would you use camunda:initiator then? Or is this more a question whether processes can be executed without a database?

Cheers,
Thorben

Hi Thorben, ill try to explain it a little bit better,

There is an existing application, I would like to implement Camunda to manage custom processes. The main point is that clients will be able to model their own processes.

Say, for example, a client wants to make a custom process for handling a new registration. He models a process with a StartEvent. The camunda:initiator value of this StartEvent would now be “RegistrationCreated”.

In the existing application, executing the functionality of a new registration should of course trigger/create an instance of the custom process. It would make sense if there was a call to the REST-API that tells it that a certain event has occured, and the processes linked to this event would initiate.

I had the idea that the camunda:initiator had this purpose, as in WHAT initiates the process. But i think it is meant for WHO initiates it. My apologies for this misunderstanding, im quite new to Camunda.

So, that brings me to the question, how can i trigger a process by telling the REST-API that an event has occured? This would allow me to make standard REST-calls in existing methods to initiate the corresponding processes.

But, another question pops up now. When starting a process, the variables declared in it are to be initated too. How do i know which variables i need to initiate without hardcoding it?

Cheers to you too,
R3vlyn

For the variables, you can declare them in the start event as form data, and them retrieve the form data using https://docs.camunda.org/manual/latest/reference/rest/process-definition/get-start-form-key/