User task with very complex form

Hi Team,

Hope you are well.

Have played with couple of Camunda examples (ex: Invoice) earlier where user tasks involve simple forms. It’s great.

I am curious to know if it’s a good idea to use Embedded Forms for very complex forms which involves
++four or five tabs
++with atleast 10 input fields of various types in each tab
++and bunch of validations on each field etc.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Bharat,

I believe that if you have a lot of fields, the embedded forms are the right ones because they are the only way to fully control the appearance (as well as possible custom logic) of the form and provide a decent user experience.

But it will of course require to invest time to do the customizations.

Cheers

Hi Bharat,

Ive trialled some multi-page complex forms as embedded forms. My learnings are as follows;

To use tabs, I seemed to have to use angular-bootstrap tabs rather than native bootstrap. As a consequence they looked very squre and I didn’t really like the look. As an alternate I used native bootstrap accordian. Hence rather than tabs across, mine are effectively down the page…

In terms of lots of fields, I tend to use a single json process variable. Hence page is fast as Im not fetching lots of variables. However, you may need to load and save the variable yourself in the fetchvariables and submit hooks as your form fields will likley use ng-model to access nodes on the Json path rather than the process variable. I actually found this more intuitive as rather than remeber the names of n process variables, it was much easier to remeber a json path such as Application.applicant.fistName, Appliction.applicant.surname.

So in my experience comples embedded forms worked very well.

regards

Rob

2 Likes

@Webcyberrob Thanks Rob. Your comments are valuable and helpful. I think I can confidently go ahead give a try now.