Using collapsed subprocesses for high-level process documentation (not implementation)

Hello,

I am using Cawemo (Enterprise) to create a high-level view of a rather large process. I am using collapsed subprocesses. I see an icon (arrow pointing down and to the right). When I click on it, the entire diagram disappears while remaining in the same file. What is the purpose of that icon? I could not find any documentation about it. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 1.39.34 PM

1 Like

Hello @Ana ,

this button will dig you into the collapsed subprocess.

You will see breadcrumbs on the top left. Using them, you can navigate to the top level.

I hope this helps

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the prompt response. Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything on the top left of the screen. When I click on one of those arrows, the diagram simply disappears.

-Ana

Hello @Ana ,

I tried myself and I could reproduce the behaviour. Usually, breadcrumbs should disappear on the top left to navigate on. Thank you for bringing this up!

I have forwarded this thread to the cawemo team and I will keep you notices about the progress.

Jonathan

Hello @Ana ,

our Cawemo team is aware of the issue and is working on providing a fix.

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

I am also having a similar issue. When I click on the downward arrow icon, it shows up another diagram space. The breadcrumbs are there, but instead of the proper name of the main process, it shows a different internal name (Process_0tbbsys). Also, I am not able to add a pool to the diagram, even though I can add the other BPMN elements.

Hi, and welcome to the Camunda forum!

The “downward arrow” is equivalent to “Expand Subprocess” but allows you to dive into the subprocess without cluttering up the parent process
You cannot put a pool in a subprocess (per PBMN Specification) as you have already indicated that this subprocess is handled by the lane/pool on the top level process.

The breadcrumb at the top of your diagram (Process_0tbbsys) allows you to move back up to the parent process.

If you want to have pools/lanes in your subprocess, you need to use the “Call Activity” rather than subprocess.

1 Like

If you want to have pools/lanes in your subprocess, you need to use the “Call Activity” rather than subprocess.

Does this mean if I use a “Call Activity” shape, I should be able to create a “linked” process (similar to how the “Collapsed Sub-Process” displays a button? (I tried it but it doesn’t seem to happen… but maybe I’m missing a step.)

I found my answer on this thread: Call Activity Button not showing

1 Like