Using jdk 17 and camunda 7.17 in spring boot project but getting script engine null error

Using jdk 17 and camunda 7.17 in spring boot project but getting Javascript engine null error while starting the camunda process During the project migration from camunda 7.16 to 7.17

Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.exception.NullValueException: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘javascript’: scriptEngine is null

Hello @Yosen ,

by default, Java does not contain a javascript engine any more. You can use the js engine provided by graalvm. Just add it as dependency and you are good to go.

I hope this helps

Jonathan

Hi @jonathan.lukas,

Thanks for the reply, We tried using the graalvm (implementation ‘org.graalvm.js:js:22.0.0.2’ , implementation ‘org.graalvm.sdk:graal-sdk:21.3.2’) gradle dependency. Even after we getting the same issue.

Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.exception.NullValueException: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘javascript’: scriptEngine is null

Hi @Yosen ,

sorry, I was mistaken here. You will need 2 dependencies (this is from a pom.xml, I am a maven guy :stuck_out_tongue: ):

<!-- Use GraalVM JavaScript for JDK > 14 -->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.graalvm.js</groupId>
      <artifactId>js</artifactId>
      <version>21.1.0</version>
    </dependency>  
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.graalvm.js</groupId>
      <artifactId>js-scriptengine</artifactId>
      <version>21.1.0</version>
    </dependency>

I hope this is useful information.

Jonathan

thanks for the reply, will verify this dependency and let you know.

Hi @jonathan.lukas,

we tried using using 'implementation ‘org.graalvm.js:js-scriptengine:21.2.0’ gradle dependency and followed the versions till 22.1.0. Still getting the script engine null error.

NOTE : Our requirement is to use JDK 17 with Camunda 7.17

If you suggest any related root cause for the script engine failure, can helps us to sort the issue.

HI @Yosen ,

here is a link that @thorben gave me: Update from 7.15 to 7.16 | docs.camunda.org

I hope this helps

Jonathan

Hi @jonathan.lukas,

We have a requirement to use JDK 17 with Camunda 7.16, but I think JDK 17 is only supported in Camunda 7.17 onwards. Do you know if Camunda 7.16 would still be stable with JDK17 ?

Thanks,
Ashwini

Hello @Ashwini_Honavar ,

welcome to the forum! Please feel free to open a new thread on your request.
We will have a better overview of the questions.
Please also mark me in the new thread and I can answer your question.

Jonathan

Thanks @jonathan.lukas for the quick response and sure will do :slight_smile:

1 Like