Web based Camunda modeler template support?

Hello

Is it possible to use the template function anyhow at the web based Camunda modeler as well?
I have tested the template functionality at the .exe version and that is very cool but I would like to use the same functionality by the web based version as well.

Thanks your answer in advance.

Regards: Gábor

Answer

Usage outside the modeler is discouraged for now. See this post for details.

Hi there,
I would be very interested in that functionality as well. I thought the Desktop version is based on bpmn.io, and the respective .js libraries, so it should be easy, right?
Regards
René

There exists no web based Camunda Modeler right now. Where would you like element templates to be added?

Hello

We have built a web based modeler based on the bpmn.js, propertypanel. js … files.
Maybe I need to send this question to bpmn.io forum. Am I right?

Thanks in advanced: Gábor

Same in our case. Maybe Camunda could clarify the interplay between bpmn.io and the Camunda modeler in order to avoid stupid questions like mine.

A few words of clarification follow:

Maybe Camunda could clarify the interplay between bpmn.io and the Camunda modeler

bpmn.io provides modeling toolkits for BPMN, CMMN, DMN. They can be easily set integrated into a web-page (that is what you see at demo.bpmn.io, for instance).

I thought the Desktop version is based on bpmn.io, and the respective .js libraries.

Correct. The Camunda Modeler is a desktop application. Under the hood it builds upon Electron, an environment to build applications with web technologies. We embed our modeling toolkits in there, too.

Is it possible to use the template function anyhow at the web based Camunda modeler as well?

Quick answer: No.

Element templates is a feature that is provided as part of the bpmn-js-properties-panel. It actually has only a very small footprint inside the modeler itself.

The reason we do not do not encourage the use of element templates outside the Camunda Modeler right now is that it is not public API and may change any time without notice. Refer to the hint in the element template docs, too.

Because of that, we cannot provide any support for that stuff, too. If you still feel like you should use them at your own risk, checkout the implementation in the properties panel.

Hope this clarifies things. Your feedback on this matter is appreciated!

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I was not able to follow your argumentation. You say, that the Camunda Modeler is made of the bpmn.js, cmmn.js, the properties-panel.js and so on, which is just running inside an Electron container instead of the browser, right? However, you say that you do not recommend to use the web-based version since the API can change? Wouldn’t that affect the Desktop Modeler as well?

We have incorporated the latest version of the properties panel in our Web app and the element templates are working there. Therefore, the question is solved from my perspective.

However, wouldn’t it be possible to have a table somewhere showing which version of the Camunda Modeler uses which versions of the JS libraries? That would be very helpful.

However, you say that you do not recommend to use the web-based version since the API can change? Wouldn’t that affect the Desktop Modeler as well?

I just want to make sure that you guys are aware of the fact that this is non-public API. If we change that in the properties panel it will receive a minor version bump. At the same time we’ll update it in the Camunda Modeler as well. As long as you stick to a certain version of the properties panel you’ll be fine, too.

The descriptor itself may change in the future, too. That in term may lead to breaking changes from the users point of view, i.e. in the desktop modeler, too. Yes.

However, wouldn’t it be possible to have a table somewhere showing which version of the Camunda Modeler uses which versions of the JS libraries?

You can inspect the package.json for each released Camunda Modeler to find out which versions of modeling toolkits are inside.

@ rpeinl Can you please share how did you implemented element templates to web based modeler ? if possible please share some code as well. Its been long time we are struggling with this issue, I will appreciate your help here.