Why do Connectors require Operate?

Shailendra Goad: I am curious to know the connection between connectors and operate.
Why do connectors depend on operate?
Can someone please explain this in an understandable way?

Jonathan Lukas: The reason is that the inbound connectors write information to the BPMN XML that need to be read by the inbound connector runtime. These BPMN XML can be fetched from Operate REST API, this is why it depends on it

Note: This post was generated by Slack Archivist from a conversation in the Camunda Platform 8 Slack, a source of valuable discussions on Camunda 8 (join here). Someone in the Slack thought this was worth sharing!

If this post answered a question for you, hit the Like button - we use that to assess which posts to put into docs.

Per @chillleader on a different slack thread

Webhook activation/deactivation is tied to process definition deployment, i.e. when you deploy the process, the webhook becomes available. Connectors make use of the Operate API to detect that a new process definition was deployed.

1 Like

Hi guys,

One question. I am trying to use Camunda in a Self-Managed Free license. Considering that I will not be able to use Operate in a production mode, is there a way to disable this connection with Connectors mode?

Zeebe can operate with the Connectors and without Operate and Tasklist, right?

@bbmfilardi - inbound connectors require Operate because they need the infrastructure to support an inbound call from an external service. Outbound connectors do not require Operate, as they are, essentially, reusable templated job workers.

Hi @nathan.loding , thanks for the answer. At my situation I´m trying to connect RabbitMQ queue to a bpmn diagram. With Operate working everything is fine. Shutting down the Operate makes everything stop working.

However is it possible to work with camunda self-managed free without Operate (considering that I can´t use it in a Production environment)?

Camunda self-managed free will not allow me to use Inbound Connectors to external Systems?

There is some confusion here in the documentation. I’ve opened a ticket for this: License inconsistency about the Connectors Bundle Docker · Issue #1640 · camunda/connectors · GitHub

@bbmfilardi - you need an enterprise license to use inbound Connectors currently, because inbound Connectors are a feature of Operate, not a feature of Zeebe. There are workarounds, however: you can receive the message from RabbitMQ on your backend then send a message to a message catch event using Zeebe’s gRPC API

@MichaelArnauts - thanks for opening that issue. I’ll bring this to our product and legal teams for review!

@nathan.loding, thanks. I really was thinking that it was a feature from Zeebe. Now everything is clear. The idea that you suggest was the same that I was considering as alternative.

@nathan.loding here goes my last question about this topic. The Connectors container keep calling the Operate container. The result is a Exception that is continously throw. Is there a way to set Connectors container to not try to connect to Operate?

Hi @bbmfilardi - yep, you can disable inbound Connectors entirely. If you are using our Helm charts, you can disable them as seen here. If you are using Docker containers, you need to set two environment variables to false, as seen here!