Why is there a delay between Camunda tasks

We are experiencing a delay in the workflow execution of 7-20 seconds. When investigating the execution of a session, we see there is a delay between the end time of one task and the start time of the following tasks and we can’t understand why.

Please see the screenshot of the first task that started at 08:38:33 and was completed in less than a second.

And the next task started 7 seconds after it:

How can we investigate why?

Camunsa v7.16.4-ee

It likely has something to do with that’s going on in the call activity.
The tread will only commit the state after it has reached the first wait state within the call activity. If you want it to commit sooner. Select async-before on the call activity itself.

Hi Niall,

Thank you very much for your response, but I’m not sure I’m following.
you wrote “the thread will only commit the state after it has reached the first wait state within the call activity”. What do you mean by “first wait state”? wait state of what? the next task? I still don’t understand why it took 7 seconds to start the next task…

To understand what’s going on you’ll probably need to understand how Camunda 7 executes processes.
Things like threads, transactions and wait states are all explained here: Understanding Camunda 7 transaction handling | Camunda 8 Docs

Hi Niall

I’m Doron colleague

The call activity was already set async-before I think this is what caused the problem I think it is a DB issue

What kind of database are you using?
Also can you upload the BPMN files.