Zeebe vs. mySQL?

Good afternoon!

I’ve been working with Zeebe for a long time now, but I’m thinking about changing the database because of many update errors. MySQL would be a good choice here, but I don’t know what exactly the differences to Zeebe are.

I also have all my data stored on Zebee. Do I have to be afraid that everything will disappear? I have heard that providers like Aiven make it possible to connect multiple databases, no matter how different they are. What do you think, does that make sense? And how fast is the processing?

Hi @lawyer1029.

I’m a bit confused about the question. Zeebe is a workflow engine and MySQL is a database. The indent of Zeebe is not to store data. Instead, it is about executing your workflows.

In general, it is not recommended to store the actual data in Zeebe. Zeebe should orchestrate the workflow/services and have references to the data only.

Best regards,
Philipp

Hi @lawyer1029 - Zeebe does not expose the database (internally it uses RocksDB), nor is the database pluggable. It is baked in to Zeebe.

Are you having issues when upgrading Zeebe to a new version?

@jwulf does this (“Zeebe does not expose the database (internally it uses RocksDB), nor is the database pluggable”) mean that we cannot browse the data in rocksdb of zeebe ?

Actually I am new to rocksdb and was trying to understand how it works, I was also trying to understand what data related to camunda is stored in rocks db. I coundnt find any client tool that I can use to connect to rocksdb.

Basically I am looking for ways to look at what all data (related to procdef’s, process instances, variables, history, runtime, events etc) is stored in rocksdb by zeebe.
Any inputs or direction would help…

Thank you.